THE ARCHIVE OF ALL EPISODES OF THE PODCAST
45. 台灣小旅行：礁溪泡溫泉- I just came back from a 2 day trip in Jiaoxi. (It's a Taiwanese hot spring village.) Let me tell you about it in this episode. Today, I'm not teaching you specific language, but as ever you'll find this to be full of descriptive vocabulary, and a variety of grammatical structures. What's more, you get to know where to go next time you visit Taiwan!
44. 小顏的一天(7)- This is episode 7 of 小顏的一天. We talk about our experience of going to bars and nightclubs.
43. 新聞：王力宏事件- An episode about recent drama surrounding Taiwanese-American singer-songwriter Leehom Wang (王力宏) and his ex-wife Lee Jinglei. You can learn some words related to gossip and relationship.
42. 小顏的一天(6)：去買衣服- This is episode 6 of 小顏的一天. Let's follow 小顏 while she goes shopping and buys clothes.
41. 小顏的一天(5)：去超市和郵局- This is episode 5 of 小顏的一天. In this episode, 小顏 tells us her experience of going to the supermarkets and post office.
40. 小顏的一天(4)：通勤和去上班、上課- This is episode four of 小顏的一天. In this episode, we're going to follow her to school and work while she takes public transportation.
39. 新聞：缺水、停電、疫情- An episode about recent news happened in Taiwan, including water shortage, power cuts and the pandemic. In this episode, you can also listen to my parents sharing their thoughts on the pandemic and vaccines.
38. 小顏的一天(3)：吃早餐- This is episode three of 小顏的一天. In this episode, she gets to eat breakfast.
37. 新聞：鮭魚之亂-Fun news shared: Taiwanese change names to 'salmon' for free sushi, and the memes derived from this incident!
36. 小顏的一天(2)：打扮和化妝- This is episode two of 小顏的一天. We're going to see her cleaning up and putting on her make-up.
35. 小顏的一天(1)：起床- This episode contains 10 lessons that describes each part of a typical day of a woman. Follow 小顏 as she gets up in the morning, gets ready for work, travels to work, works in the office, goes to the bank and the market, returns home, does household chores, and goes to bed. In each lesson, you'll learn common and useful vocabulary for everyday things and situations.
34. 錢！錢！錢- This podcast is all about MONEY - cash, pounds, currency, notes, coins- call it what you like - we all love to get it and then spend it on STUFF. In this podcast you'll hear me talk about Taiwanese money and some important historical figures printed on it.
33. 旻橋的當兵故事(2)- This is part 2 of the conversation with Ｍin qiáo. We go deeper into what he was doing during his conscription, and what he's planning to do in his gap year.
32. 旻橋的當兵故事(1)- Listen to a chat with my cousin Ｍin qiáo about conscription in Taiwan, which is a shared experience among all Taiwanese males.
31. 文化衝擊：在台灣的生活- This episode is all about common complaints made by foreigners living in Taiwan. It's common to experience some level of culture shock when dealing with the realities of living in Taiwan as a foreign visitor. In this episode, I'll try and clarify some of the confusions and frustrations relating to every day life in Taiwan.
30. 我回來了：2021年的計畫-Wishing everyone a happy new year and sharing you with my new year resolution. You can know what 家榆 is doing recently and some useful words related to personal goals.
29. 和我的爸爸聊休閒活動- Talking with my dad about leisure activities you can do in Taiwan, including the so-called "Big triathlon," wild hot springs and mountain climbing.
28. 來說鬼故事- Happy Halloween to all my listeners around the world! This episode is all about ghosts, strange things, unexplained phenomena, and all that kind of weird stuff that you don't want to hear about when you're alone at night. I hope you're not alone right now, because this will be the creepiest episode of Learn Taiwanese Mandarin yet! Let's keep calm and try not to make a sound as we listen to this Halloween installment of chilling stories! 🎃👻💀
26. 和我的媽媽聊料理- Chatting with my mom about cooking and food. Including where she likes to go shopping for food. Does she like cooking? What's her favorite dish? How does she usually cook?
25. 中秋節- Happy Moon Festival! Moon Festival, also known as the Mid-Autumn Festival, is a day of family celebration in Taiwan. It is one of the most popular events of the year. Listen to 家榆 talks about how modern Taiwanese celebrate this festival, and some jokes related to it.
24. 台灣的健保- Talking with my buddy 阿賢 about healthcare system in Taiwan. Including some pros and cons and a discussion on his personal experience going through the medical system.
23. 同音詞與諧音笑話-Homophones are words which sound exactly the same, but have different meanings and different spellings. They cause lots of problems for learners of Chinese, and are also the basis of lots of jokes in Chinese. This episode will help you understand some classic Chinese jokes playing with homophones. （The above link is not working. Please copy and paste this one: https://lear-taiwanese-mandarin.webnode.tw/l/a23-同音詞與諧音笑話/ ）
22. 三國演義(Part 2)：空城計- Here's the second episode of Romance of The Three Kingdoms. In this episode, 家榆 tells a classic and well-known story called The Ruse of the Empty City. She also tells you a saying derived from this story.
21. 三國演義(Part 1)-An episode about one of the greatest Chinese literature, Romance of The Three Kingdoms. In this episode, 家榆 tells you the benefits of reading this book and some background knowledge about the story.
20. 和阿賢聊運動與減肥- Talking to my pal about exercise and weight loss, including the answer for the first listening challenge and a new one! In this episode, you can pick up some useful terms about body and health, some cultural knowledge related to conscription and the food delivery company: FoodPanda.
19. 謝謝大家的支持- 家榆 thanks to all the audience and talks about some updates on this podcast, including a "listening challenge" she is planning to make.
18. 台灣的父親節- 家榆 tells you why we celebrate Father's Day on August 8th in Taiwan. She also has a chat with her father about how life changed for the time he first knew he was going to be a father to the time during the pregnancy and even the birth.
17. 狗派還是貓派-Are you a cat person or a dog person? In this episode, I ask my family（my dad, my mum, and my sister) about their preference and experience of keeping pets. This should be a good listening practice! Try to listen to it first without reading the scripts, and see if you understand my family.
16. 台灣的工作環境- Some trending vocabulary and issues of Taiwanese working conditions. This episode should be useful for those interested in working in Taiwan, or for people who want to discuss jobs and careers with your friends! I cover things from the most popular careers in Taiwan to the problems young people are facing here. Enjoy!
15. 十個台灣特別的發音- The Mandarin of Mainland China and that of Taiwan are fundamentally very similar. That said, there are several differences related to vocabulary, word choices, grammar and pronunciation. In this episode, I want to focus on pronunciation and tell you 10 common words that are pronounced differently in Taiwan.
14. 和我的爸爸聊音樂-Talking to my dad about music. Includes discussion about music genres my father likes, how and when he likes to listen to music, and Taiwanese karaoke.
13. 為什麼要做教中文的podcast- Hello to my listeners around the world. Here are some messages from me to you. In this episode, I talk about why I want to make this podcast and how you can use this podcast to practice Chinese listening, with a few personal anecdotes thrown in.
12. 去桌遊餐廳練習中文- 家榆 gives her personal experience of going to board game restaurants in Taiwan, and why going there with Taiwanese friends is a great way to practice your listening and speaking skills. She also talks about some board games suitable for Chinese learners.
11. 和我的媽媽聊工作、新冠肺炎- I wish you a Happy Dragon Boat Festival and talk to my mum about her job as being a teacher and how her school is responding to the coronavirus (COVID-19). As the same, it's all in Chinese and I'll pause to explain words we used in our conversation, using easier and slower Chinese. This should be a challenging listening practice. It's useful if you want to pick up some educational terms and key vocabulary about the coronavirus.
10. 上帝的金戒指：日環食(Part 2)-Here is part 2 of this 日環食 episode. You are going to join me to my trip to 雲林, and listen to my story of watching 日環食. You will hear people talking and shouting. If you don't have the chance to see this beautiful 天文奇景 in person, play this episode and you can feel the exciting moment with us. Enjoy!
9. 上帝的金戒指：日環食-全中文！ In this episode, I'll tell you a recent hot topic in Taiwan! It's all about the upcoming solar eclipse. You will learn some useful expressions and words related to astronomy!
8. 新子的泰國故事- 全中文！Talking to my friend 新子 about living in Thailand. This is a completely natural and authentic conversation. None of it was planned, so it is completely real and not fake. It should be a fun but very challenging listening exercise. Don't worry! I'll pause here and there to explain the vocabulary and expressions we used in our conversation.
6. 西遊記_Journey to The West(Part 2)- 全中文! In this episode, I'll continue to talk about Journey to The West. 小心有雷!(Spoiler Alert)
5. 西遊記_Journey to The West(Part 1) - 全中文! Another Chinese only episode. In this episode, I'll talk about Journey to The West, a great book which is very important in Chinese literature. Extra Notes and transcription can be seen on the episode page.
4. 【Chinese Rambles 隨便說說】台灣人看到我就說英文- 全中文! 沒寫稿! This is a CHINESE ONLY episode. Let's immerse ourselves into a Chinese speaking environment and listen to me talk about an issue that so many foreigners find annoying while studying Mandarin in Taiwan.
***For my new audience: Please note that I made a huge change to my podcast from the 4th episode. The first 3 episodes are more suitable for beginners where English is used to teach Chinese dialogues. At that time, I haven't figured out what I really want to make. Thank you for audience who wrote to me saying they find these useful. I am sorry that this kind of format will no longer be released.***
3. Making a Restaurant Reservation - This episode uses a real-life conversation record. In order to get some real examples of booking a restaurant, we actually made some reservations at some restaurants! Listen to it and get used to how native speakers talk like! You will also get to know some Taiwanese culture in this episode.
2. Buying Medical Supplies in Taiwan - This episode covers buying medical supplies in Taiwan, and some words you can use to describe your symptoms.
1. How to Order Bubble Tea - In this episode, you will learn how to order bubble tea in Taiwan. These phrases are also useful for ordering other drinks such as black tea, green tea, and any other drinks found in a Taiwanese café. (in Mandarin it's called 飲料店)